Subscribe to RSS feed

Sunday, April 24, 2011

18 Weeks Pt. 2

I'd like to start off by saying that I've finally experienced the pregnancy cravings that everyone keeps asking about. With Pauly it was different. I usually though of something I'd like to have, went out to get it and I was satisfied. Not so this time around.

It all started when I spotted a grapefruit at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. It looked too delicious to leave behind so I bought 2 of them. Now, I've always liked grapefruit but, before this lil' bean I usually thought of it as an alternative to oranges. You know...I've had the sweet now let's have the sour. Well, after eating that first grapefruit I've never craved anything so bad. It's a good thing that these big sour balls are good for you because if they were filled with cocoa and sugar (aka chocolate), I'd be ruined. I had to force myself not to eat that second one right after the first. Instead I had it for breakfast the next morning. Then I had to deal with wanting another one and not having any in the house. So I called Paul and like the fantastic husband that he is, he stopped at the grocery store and brought home 2 more.

I paced them out this time. Only because there was a Citrus Truckload Sale happening that coming Wednesday. What is a Citrus Truckload Sale you ask? Exactly what it sounds like. A truck full of boxes containing navel oranges and ruby red grapefruit. The next logical question is how much is in a box? Well you can either purchase 20 lbs of oranges, or 20 lbs of grapefruit. Can you guess which one I bought? If you guessed grapefruit than you win. And what would you be winning? Nothing. Except for maybe a good laugh. After all, what am I going to do with 20 lbs of grapefruit? Well, I shared it. Actually I split the box with my sister. So over the last 4 days I've been having one grapefruit a day and my craving is still going strong. So next time (as embarrassing as this might be), I think I'll keep the entire box to myself because 10 lbs of grapefruit only gives you about 8 juicy, sour globes of goodness! The only problem...I think Wednesday was the last truckload sale for the season in our area. The next closest sale is about 50 minutes east of me. Is it worth it? We'll see once I polish off these last few grapefruits!

A few days before Good Friday my sister-in-law was telling me that the Real Canadian Superstore was having a sale at their photo studio. We decided to take Pauly and Logan in for some shots. They seemed to of had a good time (especially Logan) and the pictures will be a good keepsake of their first Easter together. The one down fall is that the special only included 5 minutes in front of the camera and we couldn't get Pauly to smile. Oh well. Maybe next year we'll get a group shot of all four cousins. I can just emagin how cute those pictures will be.

I also went to see the Midwife this week. They offered to do some extra exams since I haven't seen my family doctor in over a year. I quickly agreed since I like my midwives much more than my GP. Everything checked out fine. Thyroid feels fine, no lumps, no abnormal swelling in the abdomen, no varicose veins and my reflexes are ship shape. And then there's the usual bloodpressure and fetal heartrate check. All is good.
This week my lil' bean is the size of a bell pepper. All the organs are in place and will be getting more mature here on out. His/her translucent skin is now covered in lanugo and vernix will soon be on the way. The skin has actually formed into two layers this week, the epidermis and the dermis. Taste buds are starting to form and the bones are continuing to harden.

No comments:

Post a Comment