Subscribe to RSS feed

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

19 Weeks

I've been waiting to feel my lil' bean for a couple weeks but wasn't sure if what I was feeling was him/her. Now, I can happily say that my baby is a jumpin' bean in there :) For the past few days I've been feeling him/her move around pretty regularly. They aren't strong movements but feel like bubbles rumbling around. I guess that would be a flutter? I can go an entire day without noticing them but if I stop any pay attention, I can usually feel it. I can feel my lil' bean as I sit here typing!!

When Paul's around I've been telling him when the baby moves and he gets all excited. I feel bad about it sometimes but he's made it clear that he wants to know and he says he can't wait to feel it himself. Although it's too early for him to feel the movements, sometimes he gently pokes my belly in hopes that maybe something will happen. One day our lil' bean will poke him back!

I also saw our midwife on Tuesday and everything is going fine. We talked for 30 minutes or so and she answered most of the questions I had. Apparently I was asking things that would be better left for later in the pregnancy, although she did touch on them slightly. Things like IV's and continuous fetal heart monitoring. She told me that both those things weren't necessary unless something happened but we would talk more about it in one of the next visits.

I mentioned the hip pain that's been happening on and off for the last couple weeks, which I expected but not until I got a little rounder. Of course she assured me it was all normal. She explained my body was releasing a hormone called relaxin in order the get me ready for delivery. The relaxin was causing my joints, muscles and ligaments to soften and become more flexible. She also told me not to worry if it felt like my hips were popping in and out of their sockets. Fun stuff huh? I think I'll try some extra pillows for support.

Anyways, my midwife was glad that I had registered at the hospital. I had seen the "Family Birthing Unit" photos online and only had one question about it. I knew I'd get to use the shower for pain management since each room has one but I was curious about the one jacuzzi tub they had. She told me it would likely be available to me since the midwives seemed to be the only ones who used it. And it was big enough for two. That was awesome.

I know that having a baby most often doesn't work out like you planned but I think everyone has some sort of idea on how they would like things to happen. I've been very happy with the choices I've made so far and can only hope that things continue without complications.

This week my lil' bean is the size of medium zucchini, about 6 inches crown to rump. He/she is now covered in vernix to protect it from the amniotic fluid and the skin underneath appears red due to the visible blood vessels. There are motor neurones developing which are nerves that will connect the muscles to the brain. Along with that is sensory development. The brain is designating areas for smell, touch, taste, hearing and vision. Under the gums there are permanent teeth buds developing behind the already formed milk teeth buds. His/her arms and legs are now proportioned to each other and the rest of the body. There is hair sprouting from the scalp this week as well. I can't wait to meet this perfect lil' person.

No comments:

Post a Comment