Subscribe to RSS feed

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

17 Weeks

Another week has passed and the baby excitement continues! Monday was my last surprise. I was finally able to tell my boss the good news. Well, my good news at least! It didn't happen the way I wanted it to, but that's OK. He had been in a meeting prior to me starting my shift so when I saw him walking around I stopped him, and as soon as I told him there was something I needed to speak to him about, his quick and curt reply was "your not pregnant are you?". And since I couldn't lie about it any more I smiled and said, "actually, I am".

His quick thinking lead to the following Q & A

Boss: "really?"
Me: "yes"

Boss: "your joking?"
Me: "no"

Boss: "you'r serious?"
Me: "yes."

Boss: "really?"
Me: "yes"

There was a very short pause and then...."Well, congratulations." And I said "Thanks". He continued on his way, looking shocked and confused. And of course that part baffled me because not one month ago, we had been sitting in his office during my review talking about how I was probably going to want to start a family soon. I guess the shock of it all just needed to settle in. And it did.

The next day was full of congrats and the usual questions,
"When's the baby due?"
"How far along are you?"
"Do you know the sex yet?"
"Are you going to find out?"
etc...etc...
It was very repetitive but I loved every minute of it. My biggest joy in life wasn't something I needed to keep from anyone anymore and I now have the advantage of enjoying it to the fullest. I know the novelty of it all will wear off and I'll eventually get tired of answering the same questions over and over again, but I'll deal with it when I get there.

And I'm sure my lil' bean isn't the slightest bit phased by all this excitement. He/she is now the size of a small pomegranate and I've started talking to them more in hopes that he/she can hear me. The skeleton is starting to change from soft cartilage to bone but I'm still not feeling anything distinct yet. Along with that is the growth of the umbilical cord. It is getting stronger and thicker. My lil' bean has also started to put on a little bit of fat. He/she will take the next several months to gain the body fat needed to maintain their body temperature when they are born. As for my lil' bump...it's getting bigger. I've skipped the belly band and bought maternity clothes this past weekend. It wasn't as frustrating as I thought it was going to be but I really did have to think about what I was buying. With the price of clothes I wanted to be as sure as I could be that it would all fit me as my belly expands. I started with a few pairs of pants, some long sleeved shirts and a versatile cardigan. And the best part of it all is that I feel much more comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment