Subscribe to RSS feed

Friday, December 11, 2009

13 Weeks

I've been waiting 13 weeks for a chance to see my lil' bean and it was amazing! My first ultrasound was on tuesday and I loved it. It was part of the Nuchal Translucency screening so for Paul & I it was more of a reassurance that everything was going as it should.

Before the technician began, she told me she was going to go through the screening first, which would take about 30 minutes. Then she would call Paul in and we could have a quick look at the baby. I knew she wasn't going to give me any info about the baby so I planned on keeping my attention on her facial reactions until the end. As she started, I was anxiously waiting for the bad news. Her furrowed brows could only mean one thing to me and so I waited. And waited. She continued moving the probe along my abdomen and clicking her keyboard. Her eyes relaxed and she moved closer to the screen. And still I waited. I stopped looking at her soon after and my anxiety lifted a little. After all, if something were wrong she would at least be asking me questions.
I don't know how long it actually took but she finally said she was done with the screening and would be right back with Paul. I said "OK" and as she left the room I silently squealed for joy. It only took a moment and she was back with Paul. He stood next to me as she moved the screen so we could both see it. She then placed the probe on my abdomen and there was our lil' bean moving around. She pointed out the head, arms, heart (beating like a champ), and the legs. We saw some kicks and punches and then it was over. Luckily this will not be our last ultrasound and I can't wait to see him/her again. Until then, I've posted the two ultrasound pictures on the fridge.
At 13 weeks my lil' bean is about 3.5 inches crown to rump, about the size of a medium shrimp. The liver is now secreting bile and the pancreas, insulin. He/she can smile now and there are 20 teeth under those gums. The hands have started to open and close and the toes can now curl. The sucking reflex has started and no doubt he/she will start sucking his/her thumb. With that comes the swallowing of amniotic fluid and he/she is passing it in their urine. Vocal cords have started to develop along with finger and footprints. The eyes are starting to move closer together and the ears are practically in the right spot. Hopefully next week I'll be able to report that everything is moving along perfectly!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12/22/2009

    I see our names are out in the open now.
    I can not wait the next 6 months.

    ReplyDelete