Subscribe to RSS feed

Monday, April 2, 2012

Milestones

As a new mom, you're always anticipating and noting those milestones in your baby's development.  The first smile, the first time they roll over, the first time you get a full nights sleep (if ever).

Once baby #2 comes along (or 3 or 4 or 5), those milestones seem to creep up too quickly.  As an infant, Pauly was never the sort to put things in his mouth but he drooled all the time.  People were always telling me "he must be teething".  So I anticipated a tooth sooner rather than later but 5 months came and went.  Then month 6, 7 & 8.  I know it's "normal" for a baby to be toothless on their first birthday but as a first time mom, the information passed down to you from moms who have been there and done that is always lingering.  So when everyone's telling you "he'll have a tooth any day now", you start to prepare for it.  And in my case, I became a little disappointed with every month that passed by.  Pauly was almost 11 months when that first bottom tooth popped up.  Better late than never I suppose.

Then comes baby #2.  Even when I was pregnant, things were so different.  My morning sickness was worse and lasted longer.  I didn't gain as much weight and once active labour started, the home water birth I planned was only a mere 4 hours long.  Could this have meant Riley was going to be the complete polar opposite of her brother?  I'm sure if I had consulted the Magic 8 Ball the answer would have been "all signs point to yes".  Riley is now 6 months old and I have to agree with the signs...she is almost nothing like her brother.

Riley is not too clingy.  She's never made strange with people she doesn't see on a regular basis.  She loves her baths and tummy time.  Sometimes she cries because she doesn't want to be held and at exactly 6 months, one week and a day... she cut her first tooth!  Ta Da!!  It's still too small for a picture (I've tried on various occasions) but when I can get a good shot of it, you'll be able to see it here.

Now I can only wonder what her next milestone will be but I'm sure it'll happen too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment