Subscribe to RSS feed

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

31 Weeks

This week was nonstop. I had something to do each day of the week and then to top if off, it was my turn to work Saturday! Monday was the viewing for Stan, which of course was very unpleasant. I didn't know Stan as well as most of the people there but I couldn't help but empathise with them. There was a slideshow playing that really made me think about how short his life was and how precious it all is. There was no epiphany but a grounded realization that the minor things in life aren't always important. That work doesn't always come first even though it pays the bills. That time spent with others will always be worth more than time spent alone. And even though I've always known this, I've never really done anything about it. I go about my usual routines and I'm guilty of letting the little things get to me. But not anymore (I hope!). I've got great people around me and my lil' bean on the way. All good reasons to let go. To enjoy the journey and no let the details get in the way.
As we all said our final goodbyes to Stan on Tuesday, I prayed for all those I'd lost over time. Never anyone as young as Stan but even 90 years seems too short when you think of the family and friends you'd leave behind. The grandkids or great-grandkids you'll never be able to spend time with. Even though life, weather it's been a short or long one, will always mean death, may they all rest in peace and watch over us from above.

Wednesday was our first official meeting with our doula Jody. We spent about 1.5 hrs discussing my pregnancy and everything I want out of it. My expectations, and what I want to avoid. We also reviewed my birth plan which went very well. I wasn't sure if I was expecting too much or if my requests went right along with the doula/midwife philosophy. As it turned out, Jody and I were on the same page.

Thursday was another visit to the midwives. The lil' bean is doing well, as am I. There was a little concern because my fundal height was measuring 34 weeks but nothing to be alarmed about. We'll see where things stand when I go back in 2 weeks. I remembered to bring my food log so the midwife & I went through 6 days of my eating habits. There was only a couple of things she mentioned. The first was that I needed to eat more veggies and less fruit. And I had to eat the right type of fruit. Apparently the grapes and bananas that I like eating so much have too much fructose and glucose in them. Go figure... I've never heard of fruit being bad for you? Anyways, the second thing she mentioned was that I need to drink less juice. Again with the sugar thing. She actually told me to drink coffee instead of juice...hmmm. Now I haven't been one of those people who have avoided coffee at all cost throughout the pregnancy. I still have a cup a day or maybe every other day. Instead, I've decided that water would be a better choice. So now between meals (I refuse to give up juice when I eat) I'm drinking water. And it's not like I wasn't drinking it before... but now I'm having more.

Friday was just a short jaunt to the bank before work. Paul & I wanted to reorganize our finances and I think we did a great job of it. As for the weekend, it was also busy. It started at 7am, with work. I was there from 9 - 1 which is only a half day but still tiring. I stopped at the library on my way home to return some things and pick up others. When I got home Paul was working on the closet. He had been working on it all day and was finishing it up. I would have loved to crash on the couch but I decided against it because I knew I'd get nothing done if I rested. So I collected my shopping bags and off to the Superstore I went. I got our grocery shopping done and bought a little pair of sneakers for the lil' bean. They're going to be part of his coming home outfit, if I ever get around to looking for one!

Sunday was a little slower but still busy. I did the laundry, which I had put off for 2 weeks, and in between I was cleaning upstairs. I got around to testing an infant carrier I borrowed from my sister and came to the conclusion that the car was going to have to be sold. The base fit OK but trying to get an empty carrier in the back was impossibly awkward. I couldn't step into the car while holding the carrier because the passenger seat doesn't move up far enough. Plus, when I tried to place the carrier in the cradle, there's barely enough clearance to get it into the back seat. It was horrible. So to add to my to do list, which I guess wasn't long enough, I now have to look for a new vehicle. But as of Sunday night, I now have a huge, finished downstairs closet. I just have to wait for the stain to dry before filling it!
Right now my lil' bean weighs in at about 3.5 pounds, about the weight of 4 navel oranges, and is roughly 18 inches long. He can turn his head from side to side and his brain is going through another rapid phase in development. He can now make out noises instead of just the vibrations and his eye sight is sharpening. He can track things with his eyes and the irises will respond to light as he blinks. The lungs and digestive track are almost mature and he is still building up that layer of fat and filling out. Only 9 more weeks to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment